Search This Blog

Monday, December 10, 2012

Playing volleyball in heaven

I've been a Washington Redskins' fan for almost 40 years.  For the last 20, I keep a paper bag over my head when I cheer, but I cheer nonetheless.  After floundering under 21 field leaders in that time period, we finally have a bona fide quarterback in the person of Robert Griffin III.  Affectionately known as RG III, the Heisman trophy winner out of Baylor can do it all: pass, run, lead.  He has reignited a lethargic team that seemed to have become comfortable with losing.  Even after he was injured yesterday near the end of the game, the fire he's lit under the team burned hot as they tied the Ravens at the end of regulation, then beat them in overtime.  Love it. 

I've never been quite sure how God feels about football, tennis, basketball, hockey--any of these these sports we love.  Some of you know that after the Pequea Valley boy's soccer team won the state quarter-finals, my grandson urged me to pray for their next game.  "Put it on your list, Grandpa!"  I demurred because I'm not convinced who wins and loses an athletic contest is high on God's priority list.

So I was struck by the following blog which contends that there will be athletics in heaven.  Frankly, the argument is biblically and practically compelling.  Click the link and see what you think.  http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/sports-in-the-age-to-come

No comments:

Post a Comment