Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Joy

Yesterday I took our old computer to the dump.  Actually, the toxic substances recycling center.  Getting out of the car I lifted the hatch.  To the guys removing the computer I joked, "Just make sure you let the bird seed!"  The bags of seed I had picked up earlier were stacked behind the computer.

"Did you say that because I was whistling?" the one in glasses grinned.  I was too embarrassed to admit I hadn't heard him (aging ears).  "Maybe you thought I was a bird!" he laughed and I instantly liked him.  I whistle too and was glad to meet a fellow featherless friend.

I don't hear near as much whistling as I did when I was a boy.  There are probably a lot of cultural reasons for that (in addition to my waning hearing!).  I do wonder if we are in general, a more miserable people.  Odd if that's the case since we Americans are more prosperous than ever.  But then, prosperity has not brought us more satisfaction.  Which could be instructive for those who crave what we have.

Although the Bible is peppered with references to "joy" and "rejoice", the grounds of joy the writers point to are not possessions or privilege.  Occasionally they say joy is the result of what someone else has done, but in most cases the joy experienced or pursued is the result of God and His work.  O Tidings of comfort and joy..., comfort and joy...  

Jesus came to the earth to destroy the works of the devil.  I hope you find reason to whistle this season.

1 comment:

  1. I often imagine, especially around Christmas, that most other people are joyful and I am the only one struggling. I think it is safer to say that most people are struggling and few are deeply joyful. It helps me to really focus on the the gift of Jesus. All the other stuff of life really pales in comparison to God's gift of Christ to us.

    ReplyDelete