Search This Blog

Saturday, March 12, 2011

pray the news

"Hi, I'm Keith, and I'm a news junkie."  I've searched and searched for a cure, a pill, an antidote but...  

OK, actually, I haven't.  I don't really want an antidote, and I don't want to stop.  I love it too much.  Good, bad or indifferent news, I love it all.  I want to know what's going on in my community but especially around the world.

Maybe this is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to redeem my sickness; you be the judge.  For over 20 years I have prayed the news.  As I'm reading or viewing video on the internet about the horrific tsunami that just hit Japan, I pray for the people there, for Japan's leaders, for those who have lost family, for rescue teams, especially for spiritual responses from the tragedy. 

As my wife and I drove through Lancaster Tuesday we saw police cruisers barricading a block where a mangled child's bicycle and a pillow lay in the street.  I prayed for the child I learned the next day was a 13 year old boy.  Riding into the path of a car he broke both hands and wrists, a femur, and received a head injury.  Thankfully, he was released from the hospital 2 days ago and apparently will heal.

Living a half mile from the fire station, I pray when I hear the siren go off.  When an ambulance screams past me, I pray for the person in it or the person who soon will be.

Disasters, conflicts, wars, accidents, life and death issues, politics..., even sports news can contain matters and people to pray about.  Of course, there's one catch: you have to believe God will listen to little old you about anything big or small--even on matters you don't know about personally.  He will.

1 comment:

  1. Iam trying to do that more and more. I always think what if they have no one praying for them. I know when there was a tragedy in our family we had many friends and people I did not know praying for us. I want to be that kind of prayer. I don't feel I pray well. I can't seem to verbalize what I feel but I am confident that even my sighs are understood by Him who tells us to pary.

    ReplyDelete